A Guide on How To Making Buttonholes on Your Sewing Machine
It’s true, each sewing machine has its own signature features and tools making certain tasks easier than others. If you are looking for a machine that can handle a range of things, Brother is one of the most renowned and trusted brands due to the reliability and versatility of its products. Whether you are a newbie or a seasoned sewing pro, Brother’s range will have a suitable model for your needs.
Making a buttonhole is a specified task to add buttons to garments such as clothing, bedding and cushions. As individual sewing machines differ, we’ve provided a general guide to outline how to make a buttonhole. This should give you the necessary knowledge to get started on buttons but please refer to your specific manual for directions for your sewing machine.
What do you need to make a buttonhole?
- Sewing machine
- Buttonhole foot
- Coordinating thread
- Button for sizing
How to make a buttonhole
Always practice on scrap material before you are confident enough to attempt buttonholing for real. Once you’re ready, follow our 10-step guide.
- Load your sewing machine with your top and bobbin thread.
- Locate the buttonhole stitch on your machine (check your manual for the specific number).
- At the back end of your presser foot, there is a slider in which you should fit your button. Loosen or tighten it accordingly.
- Use chalk to mark the beginning and end of the buttonhole area.
- Line up your presser foot ‘window’ with the bottom of your button mark.
- Holy the top thread softly and begin sewing. It should stitch up one side and around the other side.
- Use your thread snip to cut your thread and remove the fabric.
- Insert a pin lengthways across the end of the buttonhole so you don’t rip the stitches when opening the buttonhole.
- Cut open the fabric in the middle of the buttonhole.
- Neaten up your fabric and inspect to ensure the buttonhole is as you wish.
Rather than going through the whole rigmarole of making a buttonhole using your standard sewing machine, upgrade your business by investing in Brother’s HE-800C Electronic Buttonhole Machine. Nothing increases efficiency and productivity like having the right tools for the job. With this direct drive lockstitch buttonholer, you can change length, width and number of stitches with supreme ease and precision, saving your favoured programming as you go. With unparalleled control using the operation panel, you can slow things down or speed them up and achieve beautiful results when buttonholing on a vast variety of fabrics.
Get in touch with us today.